If you’ve never made bread before, white bread is the easiest to start with. Once you’ve made a few loaves and gotten the hang of it, you can easily experiment with different flours for a variety of tastes.
This is the recipe I use in Yeast Bread Making 101 — an extremely detailed how-to with over 40 photos to guide you.
Homemade White Bread Recipe
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons yeast (or 1 package)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (*Without salt, the loaf will fall. Don’t omit or use a salt substitute.)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil (optional)
- 2 cups white flour
- Mix water, yeast, sugar, salt and 1/4 cup of the flour. Let sit for 10 minutes in a warm spot to proof.
- Add oil (if using) and one cup of the flour. Mix well. Add remaining flour as needed to make stiff dough.
- Knead final flour into dough, being careful not to add so much flour that dough become dry. Knead until dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Put dough in oiled bowl and turn so that dough is completely coated with the oil.
- Let rise until doubled, then punch dough down.
- Let rise until doubled again, then form into loaf and place in greased pan.
- Preheat oven to 350, and bake 40 minutes. Bread is done when brown (slightly darker than just “golden”) — if you tap on the top with a finger, it will sound hollow when done.Remove from oven when done. Remove from pan as soon as possible if you like a crunchy crust (if you leave the hot bread in the pan, steam will soften the crust where it’s in contact with the pan).
Our FREE Provisioning Spreadsheet
Wondering how much of what foods to take on your next trip? Know just how much to buy of what — all arranged by grocery store aisle — with our handy Provisioning Spreadsheet. Includes detailed instructions to edit it for your favorite foods, how much your family eats, and how long you’ll be gone. No spreadsheet skills needed!
It’s FREE — get it here.
800+ recipes made from readily-obtainable ingredients with hand utensils, including numerous choices to suit every taste. Recipes are all boat-friendly: designed to be made with limited water and electrical appliances and frequent options for making with non-refrigerated ingredients. Get it in our store, on Amazon, or for Kindle.