My latest project on Barefoot Gal has been to put up some towel racks, both in the galley and head.
I had been hanging my kitchen towels (bar rags, really) on the oven door, but the problem was that there was very little air flow there and the towels wouldn’t dry, they’d just stink.
Problem was, there really wasn’t a good location for hooks or a traditional towel rack.
Our solution was to put two cup hooks in the bottom of a trim piece (if I ever remove them, the holes aren’t visible) and run a piece of shock cord between them.
It’s right above my one counter, and I simply take the towels down when I’m working there (I’m usually using them to wipe up things on the counter, my hands, etc. anyway) and hang them back up when I’m done.
Extremely easy — took about five minutes to do and my towels now actually dry.
Since this had worked so well, I decided to add a couple more towel bars in the head — one for the rag we use to wipe water off the counters and one for Dave’s wash cloth (I prefer the Lunatec Trekr cloths that dry almost instantly — on the same hook with my shower towel — but Dave prefers a terry cloth washrag that takes forever to dry).
These were even easier since there were already attachment points for the shock cord.
A couple days ago, I wrote a post about how we make the loops in the shock cord with hog rings. And for “everyday” shock cord projects like this, we use 1/4″ or occasionally 3/16″ and usually get it from Amazon which has much better prices than the marine stores (any that I’ve bought there has been good quality, but not quite as high as the “marine quality”). We buy it in 50′ rolls and just keep it on hand for various projects.