27 Jan Fish or Chicken Tacos
These fish or chicken tacos are SO good — a little different than the typical American-style tacos.
I’d never had — or even heard of — fish tacos before going to the Baja peninsula in Mexico. They are truly a treat not to be missed!
Use any sort of reasonably firm white fish — while they are superb with “really good” fish such as dorado (called mahi mahi in many places), tacos are a good way to use “average” fish as well.
We found that whenever we filleted our catch, there would always be some small pieces that were to small to cook as a fillet but were the right size for tacos — we’d keep them in a freezer bag until we had enough for a meal.
And if you don’t have any fish available, they’re equally good with chicken.
While you can serve these fish or chicken tacos in hard shells, try using soft shells — either flour or corn tortillas. That way, they don’t tend to break apart while you’re eating them . . . you’re not going to want to drop a morsel of these!
I got the recipe from Jackie aboard Liberty one summer in the Sea of Cortez, and she told me she’d gotten it from mutual friends aboard Caravan when we’d all spent time anchored in Las Rocas, near Bahia de los Angeles in the Sea of Cortez. That’s the three of our boats anchored together in the photo — we’re the center boat.
The anchorage was one of our favorites — we had whales within 100 feet of the boat a couple of times and the hiking and snorkeling were fantastic!
The fishing was excellent that year, too, and we were all looking for new ways to cook our catch. This became one of our favorites (recipe is below the photo).
|Fish or Chicken Tacos|
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream OR yogurt
- 1 package taco seasoning, divided — see how to make your own
- 3 tablespoons lime juice OR lemon juice OR white vinegar
- 1 pound uncooked boneless chicken OR fish, cut in 1″ cubes
- Canola oil
- 8 medium tortillas
- Toppings — any or all of the following:
- Red onion slivers
- Green pepper or spicy pepper bits
- Diced tomatoes
- Lettuce or other greens
- Sliced green onions
- Shredded cheese
- Mix mayonnaise, sour cream and 2 teaspoons of the taco seasoning.
- Chill mixture while preparing the toppings and tacos.
- Prepare toppings and set out.
- Mix remaining taco seasoning and lime juice in a bowl.
- Add the fish or chicken and toss so that the meat is completely covered with the seasoning.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat until it sizzles when a bit of water is dropped on it.
- Add the fish or chicken and quickly brown, then turn heat down and cover until cooked through (the fish will cook very quickly, generally in 5 to 7 minutes; chicken will take longer).
- While the meat is cooking, heat the tortillas one at a time in a hot, dry skillet (can also be heated in the oven or in a microwave, but they’re not as good).
- To serve, place equal portions of meat on each tortilla. Put out toppings and mayonnaise mixture. Let each person choose their own toppings and then roll up the taco and eat!
Can use any combination of mayonnaise/sour cream/yogurt or all of any one. See how to make your own sour cream.