10 Great Meals When Underway
Several days ago, I discussed the general type of meals that we prefer to eat underway, say on an overnight or multi-day passage. You can read that post here; a quick summary is that I like to prepare one-dish meals ahead of time so that I only have to reheat them when it’s time to eat. We usually eat from mugs or bowls and prefer things that we don’t have to cut up!
Dave and I tend to only eat one “real meal” each day — and we eat that one together — and prefer to snack during our respective watches. That is, snack on good stuff, not junk food snacks. The meals listed here are our favorites for our joint “big” meal of the day.
Here are 10 of our favorite meals underway, with links to recipes if they’re here on TBG, or page numbers/Kindle location numbers for The Boat Galley Cookbook (TBGC).
- Jambalaya — one of our favorites, but make it less spicy if anyone is prone to seasickness. TBGC has three other versions: pages 184, 320 (made with canned ham) and 183 (veggie); Kindle locations 5821, 10405 and 5807.
- Chili — again, make it less spicy than usual. I add a little extra flour to make it quite thick and thus easier to eat. TBGC: 169; Kindle location: 5288.
- Tuxedo Soup — another one that I thicken up with some flour (makes soup stay on the spoon better as the boat moves). TBGC: 168; Kindle location: 5271.
- Baked Ziti — this is simply lasagna with noodles that are much easier to serve in a bowl. I actually use rotini far more often than ziti, but any medium-size pasta will work. TBGC: page 263; Kindle location: 8498.
- White Chicken Chili — a slightly different chili but wonderful. TBGC page 180; Kindle location 5683.
- Goulash/Spanish Rice — the only difference is whether you use pasta or rice as the starch. TBGC: 265; Kindle location: 8572.
- Taco Soup — thicken it with some flour to make it stick to the spoon better. TBGC page 172; Kindle location: 5401.
- Chicken a la King — I serve it plain, without rice, when underway. TBGC page 283; Kindle location: 9176.
- Rice or Pasta Salad — I almost always make a big bowl of this when the weather is going to be hot! Not in TBGC.
- Vegetable Salad a la Que Tal — another good one when it’s hot out. TBGC page 157; Kindle location 4888.