This delicious recipe for a spicy Mexican-inspired casserole using canned chicken comes from Diane Dashevsky aboard S/V Always $umthing (I love that name!). It was inspired by the Oh-So-Good Chicken on AllRecipes.com that had been advertised on The Boat Galley, but changed to use canned chicken and make it a bit more boat-friendly.
See the notes below the recipe for how to make it without an oven.
If you’re not familiar with canned meat, read my tips on using canned meats for the best results. And you can make your own sour cream with non-refrigerated ingredients if refrigerator space is an issue.
If you have someone who is allergic to milk — or you’re just out of the ingredients — this is also great without the sour cream and cheese. Dave loved it!
|Mexican Chicken Casserole||
Prep time: 10 mins
- 4 teaspoons olive oil OR canola oil OR butter OR margarine
- 6 tablespoons sour cream (or make your own)
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese OR other cheese
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms OR large can of mushrooms
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa OR 2 cups of diced tomatoes, green peppers, spicy peppers (optional, to taste) and onions (mixed together, with more tomatoes than anything else)
- 2 cups cooked rice (any type)
- 1 (12-ounce) can chicken OR turkey OR ham (you can also use cooked and diced fresh or frozen chicken, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- While the oven is preheating, saute mushrooms in oil until just golden.
- Turn heat off and add everything EXCEPT the chicken to the pan and stir to mix.
- Drain the liquid from the can of chicken and add the chicken. Mix it in very gently, trying not to break up the pieces.
- Put the mixture in a greased baking dish (a loaf pan or pie pan both work well).
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 to 35 minutes, until the cheese just starts to brown.
- Cut into quarters and slide a spatula under each section to serve.
If you don’t have an oven, heat the mixture without the chicken in the skillet over low heat. When the cheese is melted, turn the heat off and VERY GENTLY mix in the drained chicken. Put the lid on the pan and wait 2 to 3 minutes for the chicken to warm through, then serve.