Not a pretty cruising picture, I know.
Ever since we got Barefoot Gal in the water and I began putting water down the galley drain, I’ve had problems with it being a very slow drain.
I make sure to keep the strainer clean. I’ve put lots of boiling water down (every few days, in fact). Baking soda and vinegar. Super Digest-It. All helped to some extent, then things would be back to slow in a couple of days. Should I just chalk it up to being a small drain?
This morning, I made one more stab at it, getting out a really bright light and looking down. Lo and behold, I could see a few hairs wound around the crosspiece. I got a fork and pulled up . . . and got some gunk as well as hair.
More importantly, I pulled up the top end of a clump of nasty stuff. But I couldn’t get it through the drain opening to really clear it.
The fork was just shredding it. I tried an ice pick and the gunk just slid off.
I kept thinking that I needed a crochet hook . . .
Finally I remembered the piece of wire that we had — not sure what it had originally been, but it was in a tool locker when we bought the boat and Dave kept it, thinking it might be useful . . . someday.
The end was even bent into a hook and I was able to easily pull the accumulated crud out of the drain. There was a lot more than in the picture at the top of this post, but I threw a bunch away before I thought to take a picture.
Amazing how well the drain works now!
And I’ll bet that you could do the same with the end of a roll of seizing wire . . . just unroll a bit, bend the end into a hook for the clean out (needlenose pliers work well for bending the hook), then clean it off and roll it back up.
NOTE: If you have a drain with larger openings, a Zip-It works wonders for stuff like this. Get them in home improvement stores or from Amazon (less than $5 and free shipping when I wrote this). Love this for our home drains, but we have tiny drain openings on Barefoot Gal and the Zip-It won’t fit.Learn more.