When I recently wrote about 10 Great Uses for Media Crema, a reader added one more that’s quickly becoming a favorite not just with me, but also with friends who came by for happy hour.
Shawn Passeri, on the 28-footer Althea, sailed from California to the Sea of Cortez as part of the 2010 Baja Ha-Ha and decided to cruise the Sea for a bit instead of continuing on as quickly as originally planned (it happens to so many of us — the Sea is wonderful!).
Shawn gave me this recipe, and I made it up a couple of days later and had it that night on my salad (yum!). The next day, friends stopped by unexpectedly and we invited them to stay for a sundowner. Needing a quick appetizer, I pulled out Shawn’s dressing along with some carrot sticks, sweet pepper strips and some crackers . . . and got a request for the dip recipe!
If you’re not familiar with media crema (available from Amazon), it’s basically half-and-half in a can.
It would also be great instead of sour cream on tacos, baked potatoes, grilled chicken and so much more. Best part is, it’s SO simple to make.
Cucumber Dressing or Dip
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 cup Media Crema (1/2 can or box)
- 1 tablespoon onion (OR 1/4 teaspoon onion powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (1/2 cube, mashed up)
- cilantro, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- If you have a blender, blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- If you don’t have a blender, grate the cucumber and onion and mince the cilantro as finely as possible, then mix all ingredients.
- Store unused portion in a sealed container in the refrigerator.