23 Apr Cucumber Dressing or Dip
When I recently wrote about 10 Great Uses for Media Crema, a reader added one more that’s quickly becoming a favorite not just with me, but also with friends who came by for happy hour.
Shawn Passeri, on the 28-footer Althea, sailed from California to the Sea of Cortez as part of the 2010 Baja Ha-Ha and decided to cruise the Sea for a bit instead of continuing on as quickly as originally planned (it happens to so many of us — the Sea is wonderful!).
Shawn gave me this recipe, and I made it up a couple of days later and had it that night on my salad (yum!). The next day, friends stopped by unexpectedly and we invited them to stay for a sundowner. Needing a quick appetizer, I pulled out Shawn’s dressing along with some carrot sticks, sweet pepper strips and some crackers . . . and got a request for the dip recipe!
If you’re not familiar with media crema, it’s basically half-and-half in a can. See 10 Great Uses for Media Crema for a picture of the can, where to find it, and more.
It would also be great instead of sour cream on tacos, baked potatoes, grilled chicken and so much more. Best part is, it’s SO simple to make:
|Cucumber Dressing or Dip|
Prep time: 5 mins
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/2 cup Media Crema (1/2 can or box)
- 1 tablespoon onion OR 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon powder (1/2 cube, mashed up)
- cilantro, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- If you have a blender, blend all ingredients together until smooth.
- If you don’t have a blender, grate the cucumber and onion and mince the cilantro as finely as possible, then mix all ingredients.
- Store unused portion in a sealed container in the refrigerator.