Streusel Coffee Cake for the Omnia Stove Top Oven
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans OR chopped dried, fresh or frozen fruit
- 2 tablespoons sugar brown or white
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 tablespoon butter OR margarine OR canola oil OR vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon OR allspice
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup raisins OR chopped dates OR other chopped dried fruit or fresh or frozen fruit
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk OR soy milk OR water
- 1/4 cup canola oil OR vegetable oil OR melted butter or margarine
- Make the topping by mixing the nuts, flour, butter and cinnamon to form crumbly mixture (it will not all clump together). Set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and fruit in medium bowl. Add egg, milk and oil; stir until well mixed. Batter will be thick.
- Place the steel base for the Omnia on a hot burner and let it preheat for about three minutes as you ready the coffee cake.
- Lightly oil the aluminum food pan of the Omnia (my experience is that oil or a bit of butter or margarine does much better than non stick sprays). Pour the batter into it and smooth it out. Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Place the lid on the food pan and carefully place the pan on the hot base. Leave the burner on hot for one minute (60 seconds). This is important for heating the pan and the air that is channeled over the top of the coffee cake.
- Turn the burner down to just above medium (my stove has settings from 1 to 7, 7 being the hottest, and I turn it to 4).*
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Resist the urge to take the lid off too often, as it lets out the hot air over the food pan when you do.
- Cool at least slightly before cutting. If cutting the coffee cake in the pan, use a nylon or silicone spatula to cut slices. Knives will scratch the pan
Our FREE Provisioning Spreadsheet
Wondering how much of what foods to take on your next trip? Know just how much to buy of what — all arranged by grocery store aisle — with our handy Provisioning Spreadsheet. Includes detailed instructions to edit it for your favorite foods, how much your family eats, and how long you’ll be gone. No spreadsheet skills needed!
It’s FREE — get it here.