20 Apr Streusel Coffee Cake
Whether you’re having friends over for brunch, celebrating a holiday, or just enjoying a lazy morning watching the pelicans, this coffee cake is delicious and SO easy!
Even better, the ingredients can be found almost anywhere and the recipe is designed to be mixed by hand! And if you don’t have an oven, it bakes perfectly in an Omnia Stove Top oven (the slice in the photo was baked in the Omnia). Read more about the Omnia or see it at Sea Dog Boating Solutions.
STREUSEL COFFEE CAKE
Prep time: 10 mins
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped dates or other chopped dried fruit or fresh or frozen fruit
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk OR soy milk OR water
- 1/4 cup canola oil OR vegetable oil OR melted butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans OR chopped dried, fresh or frozen fruit
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar OR white sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 tablespoon butter OR margarine OR canola oil OR vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon OR allspice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make topping, mix nuts, flour, butter and cinnamon to form crumbly mixture (it will not all clump together). Set aside.
- To make batter, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and fruit in medium bowl.
- Add egg, milk and oil; stir until well mixed. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into greased 5″ x 9″ loaf pan (best) or pie pan.
- Sprinkle topping over batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool at least slightly before cutting.
- Great served warm!
NOTE: Make a double batch if using an 8″ x 8″ or 9″ x 9″ pan, as it will be too thin otherwise. A 9″ x 13″ pan really needs a triple batch.
This recipe is from The Boat Galley Cookbook.