As fall arrives and there’s a bit of a nip in the air, Dave and I still love getting out on the water and heading for out-of-the-way anchorages.
Several years ago, our friend Casey was anchored next to us one weekend. Upon learning that we had satellite radio and could get his beloved Broncos game the next afternoon, he quickly suggested we have a football party. Sounded like a great idea to us! Over the years, we’ve hosted a couple of World Series parties as well as numerous football get-togethers.
Typically everyone will sit on deck for the first half of the game. But it can get a little chilly by halftime when the group will come inside for a steaming bowl of soup or stew.
Whether it’s a crowd or just the two of us, White Chicken Chili is a frequent choice – a deliciously different chili that everyone loves but few have ever had. Add a tossed salad and fresh bread to complete the meal.
White Chicken Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 green or spicy peppers seeded and diced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground dried oregano
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 4 chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream for garnish
- Sauté garlic and onion in oil.
- Add peppers and spices, cook 2 minutes.
- Add stock, beans, chicken and half the cheese. (If desired, can be made ahead to this point; I then start it simmering as the game begins.) Simmer 45 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls or mugs and garnish with the rest of the cheese and sour cream
- Use 2 7-ounce cans of mild or medium chilies instead of fresh
- Chicken stock may be made from bouillon
- Use any other type of white beans for the cannellini beans; can use other colors of beans but then it will not be a white chili
- Use 24 ounces of canned pre-cooked chicken instead of the chicken breasts; can use other cuts of chicken
- Use other cheese that will melt in place of the Monterey Jack. 4 cups is about two pounds of cheese.
- Can also garnish with strips or rings of peppers and a few slices of green onion tops.
800+ recipes made from readily-obtainable ingredients with hand utensils, including numerous choices to suit every taste. Recipes are all boat-friendly: designed to be made with limited water and electrical appliances and frequent options for making with non-refrigerated ingredients. Get it in our store, on Amazon, or for Kindle.