23 Mar Vino2Go — a sippy cup for wine
It seems like we’re always looking for the perfect wine glass for the boat. And the Vino2Go glasses are pretty intriguing!
Basically, they’re an acrylic wine glass inside a acrylic tumbler with a sippy cup lid. They’ll fit in a standard drink holder and hold 6 ounces of wine. And while not a crystal wine glass, it does look like a wine glass and not a toddler’s cup!
A couple of notes:
- You have to be careful in putting the lid on and make sure that it’s all the way on — it can leak if you’re not careful. You can also leave the lid off and simply use it as a wine glass that fits into a standard drink holder.
- The opening in the lid doesn’t close, so some wine may spill out if you drop the glass or it falls over. Unlike some toddler cups or coffee mugs, it’s not leakproof, so you can’t toss it in the daypack for a glass of wine at sunset at the end of a hike.
- That lid is also great for keeping bugs out of your wine. Don’t laugh — there’s nothing like taking a sip of wine and swallowing a bug!
- Acrylic won’t break easily, but it is not totally unbreakable. And it can scratch and mar some with use. Use reasonable care and you’ll see several years of service in typical boat use.
- Don’t wash acrylic glasses in hot water — that’s what causes those fine cracks and crazing.
- Store them with a fuzzy hair tie or two around them, both to keep them from clanking and to keep them from getting scratched. (Read more about this tip here)
- While not insulated, these do help with keeping white wine cool (assuming it was cold to begin with . . . )
- Some reviewers have talked about poor quality or being very brittle and breaking easily, while others have been very satisfied. I’m not sure if different batches are different quality or simply different perceptions. I bought a two-pack of these as a gift for a friend (the 2-packs are significantly less expensive than buying individually) and thought that they were reasonably good quality and would last at least as well as other acrylic glasses that I’ve had. No, they’re not going to be mistaken for fine crystal or last forever.
- The Vino2Go glasses are available on Amazon and many other places online. In my search, which I’ll admit wasn’t exhaustive, some of the Amazon vendors had the best prices, particularly on the two-packs. See all Vino2Go glasses on Amazon.
Many thanks to reader Laura Welborn for letting me know about these!