I’ve found another great wine glass to use on a boat! About a month ago, Cruising Solutions sent me two of these GSI Stemless Wine Glasses to review, and I find myself reaching for them all the time. Cruising Solutions is a TBG sponsor and is owned by cruisers, so they really understand what cruisers need and what works well on the boat.
So why do I like these so much?
- They’re a nice heavy plastic that’s pretty unbreakable. While I’m sure that given the exact right conditions, one could crack or break, I’ve dropped one onto concrete and it didn’t break. It’s BPA-free and recyclable.
- The material is thick enough that the glass feels solid, and the lip is nice to drink from. It doesn’t feel like a Red Solo Cup or a throwaway.
- At 3.1 inches diameter at the widest point, they fit into standard drink holders. Very few stemless wine glasses do.
- The design is easy to hold — that “bump” towards the bottom is just designed for a hand. I’ve dropped a number of stemless wine glasses that have very smooth sides (that’s one of my biggest complaints about them) and have never dropped one of these.
- GSI calls that bump a “kickstand” and says that it keeps the glass from tipping over if you set it down on an uneven surface, say at a beach party or on a picnic table. I’ve accidentally set one half on a kitchen towel as I was filling them, and yep, it didn’t tip over. That’s a really nice feature when on a boat!
- The glass is wider at the bottom, making them a lot less tippy than a stemmed wine glass.
- Nice size. I don’t like wine glasses that hold really large volumes, as we end up drinking more without realizing it (read more about this). Filled to the rim, these hold 10 ounces (the tag on the glass says 2.1 ounces; it’s the weight of the glass for backpackers). Filling it half full gives a serving of 5 ounces — perfect!
- Very clear plastic — they just plain look nice. Wash them (and any other plastic glasses) in cool water to keep them from getting cloudy.
- Double duty: they’re a great size to use also as juice glasses and the same easy grip is important there.
Where to buy the GSI Stemless Wine Glass:
- Amazon Note: The clear glasses are not currently available at Amazon; link goes to stainless “glasses.”
Be sure to read about DEET and Plastics if you have plastic glasses.