Hummus makes a great snack on the boat. I’ve often made it in remote places — the ingredients don’t require refrigeration!
However, basic hummus is made from chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans) and if you don’t have a blender, it’s a real pain to get it smooth. For years, we just had chunky hummus. It tasted great but just wasn’t the texture we wanted.
One day I had an A-HA moment. What if I started with ground chickpeas . . . garbanzo flour? I had my answer! Perfectly smooth hummus that was dead easy and fast to make.
The trick is in the way you mix and add the ingredients. My first few attempts, using the recipe on the back of Bob’s Red Mill garbanzo flour, were lumpy. Then I discovered this technique and no more lumps.
Easy Smooth Hummus
- Mix 1/2 cup of the water, garlic, cumin, salt, lemon/lime juice and tahini in a saucepan. Slowly add the garbanzo flour, mixing as you go.
- Slowly add the remaining water, again mixing as you go. Adding slowly and mixing well so there are no lumps is key.
- Bring the mixture to a boil while stirring and turn down to a simmer immediately when it begins to boil. Keep stirring (it can scorch if you don’t stir) and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the stove, pour into a lidded plastic bowl, cover with a thin coating of olive oil and either eat immediately or refrigerate.
- Serve with veggies, crackers or pita wedges.
Our FREE Provisioning Spreadsheet
Wondering how much of what foods to take on your next trip? Know just how much to buy of what — all arranged by grocery store aisle — with our handy Provisioning Spreadsheet. Includes detailed instructions to edit it for your favorite foods, how much your family eats, and how long you’ll be gone. No spreadsheet skills needed!
It’s FREE — get it here.
800+ recipes made from readily-obtainable ingredients with hand utensils, including numerous choices to suit every taste. Recipes are all boat-friendly: designed to be made with limited water and electrical appliances and frequent options for making with non-refrigerated ingredients. Get it in our store, on Amazon, or for Kindle.