Over the last three days, Dave and I (mostly Dave with me being the chief tool hander and third hand) have basically torn the stove apart on our new-to-us boat.
It began with the objective of fixing a propane leak in one burner, and expanded as we discovered that the real problem was that something had spilled/boiled over on the stove, run down through the burner, totally plugged everything up and never been cleaned (more on this in another post).
The end result was that we (read: mostly Dave) had to tear the stove top almost totally apart to clean it. And the best place to do that was in the cockpit, once we got the stove out of the galley.
And so we employed a rule we’d learned the hard way on our previous boat: plug the cockpit drains and scuppers before doing anything else.
It doesn’t have to be fancy — rags or used paper towels will do just fine. The one time we forgot to do this — you guessed it — we lost a critical screw down it. Luckily, Dave was able to jury-rig a substitute, but it taught us a very good lesson.
Not only is there Murphy’s Law at work, but everything slopes down to the drains, making it even more likely that items will roll down the drain.
This time, nothing was lost although many things were dropped . . . and I now have a stove that works really well! Coffee this morning was ambrosia!