My great-grandmother began serving this chocolate cake nearly 100 years ago, and it’s been a family favorite ever since. It’s great on a boat, as it uses cocoa instead of baking chocolate, was intended to be mixed by hand and baked in a “moderate oven” fueled by wood – perfect for a somewhat tempermental galley oven. Plus, the frosting won’t run in tropical heat!
Grandma Phila’s Chocolate Upside Down Cake
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder see note below
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons cocoa
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine or vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup nuts
- ½ cup brown sugar if not available, use white and a smidge of honey or molasses
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place all cake ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix. Pour into an ungreased 8″x 8″ pan (or anything that is reasonably close). Let sit while you prepare the topping which can be made in the same bowl (scrape the batter into the pan and you don’t need to wash the bowl).
- Mix together topping ingredients and spoon over the mix in the baking pan. You’ll notice that the cake mix will start to float to the surface–that’s normal.
- Bake in a 350° F. oven for 35 minutes. Time it! Cake is done when the top is uniformly dry, although the frosting mixture may bubble around the sides. Don’t overbake! Allow to cool before serving.
- To serve, cut cake into pieces and slip a spatula under one slice. Carefully take it out of the pan and flip it upside down onto a plate–the gooey frosting will now be on top. Generally not all of the frosting will have come out of the pan. If this happens, scrape the extra out and smooth it over the top of the slice.
800+ recipes made from readily-obtainable ingredients with hand utensils, including numerous choices to suit every taste. Recipes are all boat-friendly: designed to be made with limited water and electrical appliances and frequent options for making with non-refrigerated ingredients. Get it in our store, on Amazon, or for Kindle.