02 Feb Brownies in the Omnia Stove Top Oven
Okay, we love brownies! And this recipe, from The Boat Galley Cookbook is one of my favorites. No chocolate to have to melt (cocoa is much easier to store on the boat . . . and to find in many places), the oil is easy to store (no refrigeration) and mix by hand, and there are lower fat and sugar versions. Bonus: no milk products, making them fine for people with a milk allergy or lactose intolerance!
You can bake these in a conventional oven in an 8″ x 8″ pan at 350 degrees F. for the same amount of time, but I wanted to show how well they do in the Omnia . . . and the recipe below is sized perfectly for it (it’s 1-1/2 times the batch in the cookbook).
Read more about the Omnia Stove Top Oven and how to use it here; you can buy one from either of these two sellers:
Brownies in the Omnia Stove Top OvenPrep time:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar (can use up to 3/4 cup Splenda)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil (can substitute 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce)
- 3 eggs or 3/4 cup Eggbeaters
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup broken walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Grease pan portion of the Omnia oven with a bit of oil, then flour. Set aside.
- Mix sugar and oil in a bowl; add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Preheat the Omnia base over high heat for three minutes while doing the next step.
- Spread the brownie batter evenly in the food pan and place the lid on it.
- Place the pan on the Omnia base and leave the burner set at high for one minute. Then turn the burner down to medium and bake for 30 minutes.
- Test for doneness with a toothpick — it should have moist crumbs on it when you remove it from the center of the brownies (not totally clean) but not raw batter.
- Remove from the stove and let cool before cutting.
Learn more about the Omnia Stove Top Baking Oven — I’ve found it to be the easiest way to bake on the stove top with great results.