Don’t have a halyard for a traditional wind scoop? The Breeze Booster is a great free-standing wind scoop for power boats, catamarans and anyone else who has a hatch but no nearby halyard.
Let me start by saying that we had a halyard perfectly positioned for our four-way wind scoop on Que Tal and also now on Barefoot Gal, and so we have not used one of these. But I’ve seen them in use on many boats — particularly trawlers and cats — and the owners have given them great reviews.
A while ago, Royce Johnson aboard Cerca Trova reminded me about these, saying that they have a cat and 6 deck hatches and just can’t use halyard-hoisted wind scoops.
Says Royce, “Nothing is perfect, always a trade-off: BreezeBoosters are only 1-direction wind catchers but are so easy to reposition the it can be done from inside the boat. Same for dousing them in a rain squall.”
- The Breeze Boosters use fiberglass rods and a tensioning cord — there’s nothing to permanently install.
- It closes to the size of a large umbrella for storage.
- Can be turned in any direction to catch the wind, although it will be most effective when the hatch is not partially blocking the wind.
- The Breeze Booster cannot be used with existing hatch screens, but they sell an optional no-see-um screen that fits over the whole scoop. NOTE: My experience is that having a screen — particularly a no-see-um screen — over any hatch significantly restricts the air movement . . . but if you’re in an anchorage with no-see-ums, mosquitoes or swarming bees, the screen is better than closing up totally.
- Comes in royal blue, navy, white, red, green and maroon.
- Comes in small, medium and large sizes to fit most hatches.
See more pictures, including how to put it up, and order at BreezeBooster.com.Some links above (including all Amazon links) are affiliate links, meaning that I earn from qualifying purchases. Learn more.