Don’t have a halyard for a traditional wind scoop? The Breeze Booster is a great free-standing wind scoop for power boats, catamarans and anyone else who has a hatch but no nearby halyard.
Let me start by saying that we had a halyard perfectly positioned for our four-way wind scoop on Que Tal and also now on Barefoot Gal, and so we have not used one of these. But I’ve seen them in use on many boats — particularly trawlers and cats — and the owners have given them great reviews.
A while ago, Royce Johnson aboard Cerca Trova reminded me about these, saying that they have a cat and 6 deck hatches and just can’t use halyard-hoisted wind scoops.
Says Royce, “Nothing is perfect, always a trade-off: BreezeBoosters are only 1-direction wind catchers but are so easy to reposition the it can be done from inside the boat. Same for dousing them in a rain squall.”
- The Breeze Boosters use fiberglass rods and a tensioning cord — there’s nothing to permanently install.
- It closes to the size of a large umbrella for storage.
- Can be turned in any direction to catch the wind, although it will be most effective when the hatch is not partially blocking the wind.
- The Breeze Booster cannot be used with existing hatch screens, but they sell an optional no-see-um screen that fits over the whole scoop. NOTE: My experience is that having a screen — particularly a no-see-um screen — over any hatch significantly restricts the air movement . . . but if you’re in an anchorage with no-see-ums, mosquitoes or swarming bees, the screen is better than closing up totally.
- Comes in royal blue, navy, white, red, green and maroon.
- Comes in small, medium and large sizes to fit most hatches.
See more pictures, including how to put it up, and order at BreezeBooster.com.Learn more.