Looking for a delicious and boat-friendly snack or appetizer? This Black Bean & Corn Salsa is ideal and it even qualifies as a healthy choice.
It’s fast to make and even better when made a day or two ahead of time. Two added bonuses are that none of the ingredients need to be refrigerated until you mix it up and there’s nothing to spoil on a hot day. Even better, young kids can help while slightly older children can make it by themselves.
Make it as spicy (or not) as you and your guests desire by varying the salsa used. If some people like it mild and other prefer a spicier version, make it mild and then divide it between two dishes and add 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper or hot sauce to one. Just be sure to label it as the spicy one!
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
- 32 ounces canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces canned corn, drained
- 2 cups salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional), to taste
- Mix all ingredients together. If not serving immediately, refrigerate.
- Serve with tortilla chips, crackers, pita rounds or even veggie dippers such as baby carrots, cucumber slices or green pepper strips.
- Can substitute 2 tomatoes, 1/4 green pepper, 1 spicy pepper (to taste), and 1/4 cup onion, all chopped finely, for the salsa.
- If a spicier dip is desired, add more cumin and some cayenne pepper or chili powder – or finely chop part of a spicy pepper and add it.
- Also great over fish, pork chops or chicken.
- Refrigerate any unused portion.
Calories from Fat 18