Baked ham is a salty treat at any time and a special main dish for holidays. Here’s how to make it even if you don’t have an oven on board your boat. It’s easy with the Omnia Stove Top Oven (Amazon).
Baked Ham in the Omnia Stove Top Oven
- 2 pound boneless cooked ham (not sliced)
- 1 pound baby carrots
- 4 small potatoes, peeled or not (your preference)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cut ham into 2 or 3 pieces that will fit into the Omnia food pan without the silicone liner. Place ham pieces in food pan.’
- In a bowl, toss potatoes and carrots with oil.
- Add carrots and potatoes to pan. Place cover on pan.
- Put base plate and covered food pan on burner and turn to medium (base plate does not have to be preheated). Bake for a total of about 40 minutes.
- The best way to test for doneness is with an instant-read thermometer. Stick it into the center of the ham, away from the pan. When the ham is done, it will read at least 135° F. and the carrots and potatoes will be fork tender. If you don’t have an instant-read thermometer, just check that the carrots and potatoes are fork tender.
- Cut ham into 3/8” slices and serve with carrots and potatoes.
Alternate method to make gravy
- If you wish to make gravy, place ham, carrots and potatoes on the Omnia roasting rack in the food pan. Add one cup of water to the pan before baking.
- Bake and test for doneness as described above.
- Remove ham, carrots and potatoes from pan; place on plate and cover to keep warm.
- Pour the pan drippings into a saucepan, scraping any browned bits in too). DO NOT put the saucepan over a hot burner. Add ¼ cup flour and quickly stir the flour into the drippings. It will get very thick.
- Slowly add water, just a tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly so that lumps don’t form. Add water until mixture is a little thinner than you want the gravy to be.
- Put the pan over medium heat and slowly bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. It will thicken; slowly add more water if it gets thicker than you like.
- Slice ham as above; serve gravy on the side and let everyone pour over their ham and/or potatoes as desired.
Calories from Fat 225