On the US East Coast, it’s time for the fall migration down the ICW. And on the West Coast, boats will soon be heading south to Mexico.
Hopefully, you’ve found our 1000+ free articles, almost 600 podcasts, courses and products of help as you’re getting ready to shove off. In particular, our Atlantic ICW Quick Reference Cruising Guide (Amazon) will make it easy to find important information:
- Bridge openings
- Places to take your dog off the boat
- Locations to refill propane tanks
- And much more.
If it’s your first time, it’s a big deal. You have probably read some scary accounts of grounding or worse on the ICW. Even if it’s not your first time, the beginning of any journey still feels like a leap of faith.
A couple of quick reminders:
- When you’re feeling overwhelmed, slow down.
- People everywhere eat; you’ll be able to get food.
- When in doubt, take more spares and tools; fewer clothes. A couple of good how-to books are also a good choice.
Above all, be sure to take your sense of adventure! Your attitude and expectation probably play the biggest role in whether you have a great trip or a disaster. You can have problems and still have a wonderful time – trust me, I’ve been there!