Whether you’re just spending a few days on the boat, heading off on a passage or preparing for some hectic days, make-ahead meals can take a lot of stress off the chief cook — while still enabling everyone to eat well!
What’s a “make-ahead meal?” To me, it’s something that I can make several — or more days in advance and just heat up when I want it. It may be something that I freeze at home and take to the boat or maybe it’s just something that can be refrigerated and transported. With each, I package it in a container that’s just right for the number of people expected to be on board.
A number of my favorites get served over rice or pasta. Depending on the circumstances, I might cook that ahead, too — or plan to cook it fresh as the main dish heats. I may add a salad or a vegetable — but several of these are great one-dish meals.
Here are my top 10 make-ahead meals (I make most with chicken or ground turkey, not beef):
- Jambalaya — see Drew’s great recipe
- Spanish Rice
- Beef Stroganoff
- Tacos — make the meat ahead and either prepare veggies ahead also or at meal time
- Potatoes au Gratin with Ham
- Stew — chicken or beef (don’t overcook initially or it will be mushy)
- Pulled pork or chicken for hot sandwiches
So what are your favorite meals to make ahead and just re-heat??