Another provisioning find: catsup in pouches! In Mexico, we also found mayonnaise in similar pouches.
Why are the pouches so good on a boat?
- You can store them just about anywhere as they’re smaller than regular containers and also kind of “squishable.” It’s easy to fit them around other things — I found that they actually helped keep other items from clanking.
- The smaller size (this one holds 1-1/4 cups) means that you use them up fairly quickly. I never refrigerate condiments (read more), so prefer smaller containers.
- If you’re careful not to put the spout right up against food, there’s no contamination issue and very little air comes in contact with the contents.
- Nice tight screw cap means less chance for a big mess in the locker than the flip-top lids on so many regular containers.
- Less trash! The pouch is so much smaller than any plastic bottle.
Here in the US, I haven’t seen the pouches in any store until yesterday. This was right next to all the other catsup on the shelf. Hopefully mayo won’t be far behind . . . but if you’re in Mexico, look for that too!