For many of us, Christmas baking is a tradition — whether for ourselves or giving to friends.
But if you’re living aboard a boat, with a “kitchen” the size of a phone booth, it can be challenging to do it in the same way you’ve always done it.
Below are some of my favorite boat-friendly treats to make — no electric mixer required, none take a ton of counter space, and a couple don’t even have to be baked! Of those that do have to be baked, they can be baked all at once in a single pan instead of muliple sheets of cookies that can really heat up the boat if you’re in the tropics.
Oh yeah, depending on where you are, you’ll probably be able to find the ingredients for several of these recipes.
- Green Beer - Not just beer, but lots of drinks can be made green for St. Patrick's Day. And it's a great excuse for getting together with friends!
- Coconut Macaroons - Super easy to make with just two ingredients and endless ways to decorate for any holiday -- great for anyone and perfect for kids, even toddlers can "help"
- Mincemeat Cookies - Is mincemeat a traditional "holiday smell" for you? Instead of a pie, try making these cookies -- they're much easier on a boat and keep the tradition alive!
- Sugar Cookies - A very boat-friendly and kid-friendly recipe . . . and good any time of the year, not just Christmas!
- No-Bake Booze Balls - Here's a wonderful and easy treat that doesn't require a lot of counter space or even an oven . . . and everyone will love!
- Pumpkin Squares - An easy holiday/fall/winter dessert -- the traditional pumpkin taste, with a lot less work. An added bonus is that it doesn't take any special storage!
- Turtle Brownies - A wonderful treat for a special occasion -- with a variation in case you can't get a German Chocolate cake mix.
- Gingerbread Cake - Like the idea of gingerbread men but not the work? Make a gingerbread cake and decorate it with a gingerbread man theme!
- Streusel Coffee Cake - This coffee cake is delicious and easy to make from scratch, by hand.
- St. Patrick’s Day: Corned Beef Dip - Quick and easy dip made with canned corned beef.