As I’ve been in several stores over the past week – and watching TV – I’m struck by the number of things offered in “Back to School” sales that are great boat products. I’d always thought of “back-to-school” as crayons, pencils and new clothes, but more and more marketing is being done towards kids heading off to college and setting up their dorm rooms or apartments.
No, you’re not going to find a new anchor or sails, but there are lots of household goods being pitched. And if you’ve got a new-to-you (or just new) boat, you can find good deals on all sorts of things.
Items I’ve seen on sale in the past week:
- Sterilite bins and other organization supplies (tons of these for college students)
- Lock & Lock containers
- Mattress toppers (great on less-than-ideal boat mattresses; can really improve a mattress at a fraction of the cost of a new one)
- Pillows and bedding – sheets, quilts, blankets
- Throw pillows – particularly look for the outdoor ones on end-of-season sales
- Cooking implements – not necessarily pans but lots of cooking implements
- Grilling tools
Be sure to check quality of items and that they’re suitable for boat life: sturdy, cleanable, latching lids, washable fabrics and so on.